Needs Council restarts income tax assistance preparation program


Hill Country Community Needs Council has restarted its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program on a restricted basis at its facility at 1904 North Llano Street.

“Only clients who completed returns with us last year are eligible to make an appointment by calling the Needs Council office at 997-9756,” said Cindy Heifner, director.

Heifner said clients will be asked to drop off their 2019 tax information at their appointed time, and tax volunteers will contact them when their return is complete.

Clients must also fill out two forms when they drop off their 2019 tax information.

Those clients must bring:

• A voided check;

• Their 2018 tax return.

When their return is completed and e-filed they will be called to pick up their packet. Packets will not be mailed.

Most eligible U.S. taxpayers will automatically receive their Economic Impact Payments, through direct deposit.

Tax deadline has changed

All filers have until July 15, 2020 to both file and pay their 2019 Federal Income Tax.

Additional information for those who did not file income tax in 2018 or 2019 can be found by going to and looking for the highlighted box: Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here.

Citizens or permanent residents who had gross income that did not exceed $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples) for 2019 or were not otherwise required to file a federal income tax form for 2019, and didn’t plan to, may provide the IRS with the following information in order to expedite receiving their Economic Impact Payment:

• Full name, current mailing address and an email address;

• Date of birth and valid Social Security number;

• Bank account number, type and routing number, if applicable;

• Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) they received from the IRS earlier this year, if they have one;

• Driver’s license or stateissued ID, if applicable;

• For each qualifying child: name, Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number and their relationship to the filer or filer’s spouse.

Contact the Needs Council for more information at 997-9756 or email