61st Christmas Homes Tour features six homes, Market
Six private homes and a holiday gift market will be featured as part of the 61st Christmas Home Tour and Market on Saturday, Dec. 1
The Market kicks of the event, opening at 9:30 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church, and the self-guided homes tour begins at 11 a.m.
A booklet with a map and a description of each home is provided to each participant.
Tickets are $30 per person through Nov. 26 and $35 after Nov. 26. The cost includes admission to the Market. Tickets are limited.
Tickets can be purchased at the Pioneer Museum, or online at www.pioneermuseum.net or by calling 990-8441.
The Market will return to the Gillespie County Historical Society/Pioneer Museum Historic Sanctuary and Social Hall at 312 W. San Antonio St.
The Market will be open from 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Featured will be 22 vendors selling gifts, food and other holiday items.
Coffee and baked goods will be made on site.
Entertainment includes music from Emily Jumes, Kathy Bauer and Carole Harrington.
Cousins Maine Lobster will be selling food on the site.
The 2018 Market Sponsor is Fickle International, LLC.
For those that wish to shop the Market, tickets will can be purchased at the door for $5. Proceeds will benefit the Pioneer Museum.
Following is a brief history of the homes on the story used with information from the Gillespie County Historical Society and Pioneer Museum:
1855 First Methodist Church Sanctuary and Social Hall
Pioneer Museum welcomes everyone to the 2018 Home Tour’s Market being held in this historical building often referred to as the Sanctuary and Social Hall.
The Gillespie County Historical Society bought the building and property, which adjoins the Pioneer Museum grounds, from the First Methodist congregation on March 1, 1978, and converted the space for new use.
The 40 foot by 60 foot church was built in 1855 using native stone quarried in Gillespie County.
In 1880, the congregation built their first parsonage that can be seen to the right of the church.
The Gillespie County Historical Society has continued the preservation and renovation work on the building, recently completing a renovation of the Social Hall and Sanctuary.
Honey Creek Farm is named for the stream that runs through the property where the home of the Sam Stewart family, which is managed by Camey Stewart.
The rock house was built in 1901 by Henry Schuch and is made from rock quarried on Loudon Road.
The Stewarts purchased the homestead in 1987 and restoration began in 1988.
New wiring, plumbing, heating and air conditioning was installed.
The family used native rock and 100-year old hand pegged pine flooring. Cedar fencing was added to outline the pastures.
Another addition was added in 2008.
Jim and Kym Gewinner
Jim Gewinner, an architect, put his skills to personal expression in this home.
The house maximizes a north/south orientation and provides a view of the natural environment of the Texas Hill Country.
The home sits on 10 acres and uses glass as a defining element.
The home is a modest 2,100 square feet and is made with sustainable materials and systems.
JP and Christy Bourtin
This Mediterranean-style home is home of an active family of five and includes four bedrooms, four baths, a guesthouse and pool.
The home was built in 2006 and was updated in 2018.
The home features work from Christy and a collection of French antiques.
The kitchen and living room feature many antique pieces including chests and an 1870s friars table from a French monastery that serves as a breakfast nook.
The family library is navy blue inspired and features a titled staircase.
Paul and Andrea Feiler
Tanglewood Farms is a historic compound that has been partially relocated, restored and built 14 years ago in Settlers Ridge.
Sitting on one of the highest hills in the area, the main house features 1880s hand-hewn log barn moved from Kentucky that has been reassembled and sieves as a great room with a wrap-around porch.
An 1880s dogtrot cabin used by family, friends and guests also sits on the property.
Both spaces include antique barnwood, family art, antiques and other pieces from the era.
Al and Lisa Stinson
This two-story brick home was designed by architect Edward Stein and built by Stein Lumber Co. in 1923 for Mr. and Mrs Henry Keyser.
In 1937, Stein’s daughter moved into the home with her new husband.
Over time, the home has been remodeled several times, and a master suite was added.
The Stinson’s bought the home in 2016 and made changes to the kitchen area.
The home also features a large garden, a pool and a carriage house that now serves as a guesthouse.
The Stinson’s have worked to preserve the exterior of the home while adding contemporary touches on the inside.
Arnoldo and Jan Cuellar
Arnoldo and Jan moved to Fredericksburg in 2014 and purchased the historic Kneese Home because they were fascinated with the rich German heritage.
The original structure was constructed between 1848-49 and was the residence of Ludwig and Minna Imhoff Kneese. Today, it is part of the central living area.
The small structure on the rear of the property is a recent addition that the owners have dubbed “Pioneer Cabin”. Its kitchen and living room were part of an historical structure located on the Holy Ghost Lutheran Church property.