Anybody going to San Antone? Plan for traffic


These days, it seems we all live in a world of instant gratification.
We run through the drive-in restaurant and place an order. And, if that burger and fries isn’t ready by the time we round the building, we are frustrated and tap our foot on the brakes or drum the dashboard.
We send a computer document to the printer, and if we have to stand there and wait, we tap our fingers on the printer, we pull the drawer open to see if there is still paper. We roll our eyes.
We plan a trip to the city, and if we aren’t there in less than an hour from Fredericksburg, we become impatient.
Such has been the case with my family over the past several months. 
My parents have both encountered heart issues of one sort or another, and the Geistweidt kids have made no fewer than 12 or 14 trips to the medical center area of San Antonio for doctor visits, medical procedures and hospital stays.
So, between highway construction, auto accidents along the way and traffic jams, we’ve learned there is no way we can ever get to the city in 53 minutes from the newspaper office anymore.
I’m not sure they will ever get done with the highway construction project between Boerne and San Antonio around the Dominion area. It seems that project has been going on for years.
One day, I was blitzing down the interstate and screeched to a complete halt. Hundreds of vehicles ahead of me faced the same dilemma. Gradually we began to crawl on our way.
By the time we made our way through the jam, there was nothing to see. I joked that everyone must have slowed down to watch a June bug cross the highway.
And the other day, same song, second verse. We were headed westward with the hammer down when there was suddenly nothing but a sea of tail lights ahead of us. 
“Uh oh, now what’s happened,” I muttered to my passengers.
Turns out, across the median, in the eastbound lane, there was a fender bender and law enforcement had just arrived, and apparently, all the westbound traffic decided to slow down and take a gander.
Probably the most frustrating incident happened one day a couple of months ago, when my brother drew the short straw and was taking my mom to her heart appointment.
Since there’s always a chance of a traffic jam, my parents move slowly, and parking can be a challenge at the doctor’s office, they left Fredericksburg two hours prior to their appointment time of 2:15 p.m.
Turns out, there was an 18-wheeler wreck south of Boerne and the eastbound lane of IH 10 was completely shut down, and they were stranded in stand-still traffic for over three hours. 
I had stayed at work that afternoon and turned out being the middle man, communicating between them and the doctor’s office.
So, by 4:15 p.m. when traffic started moving again, they turned around and came home, only to try again the following week. They were so close – only about seven or eight miles away – yet so far away.
It’s amazing how the city is moving out closer and closer to Boerne every time I go there.
When I was a little girl, I remember going to what at that time was called Wonderland Mall, now called Crossroads of San Antonio, where Fredericksburg Road crosses Loop 410. 
The area to the west where the medical center area is located was nearly all pastureland and was just beginning to be developed.
And The Rim shopping center was a huge dirt pit, as was Fiesta Texas.
Back in the 1960s, the Geistweidt kids would watch for that big horse that stands atop the entry to that ranch on the east side of the highway. We knew we were getting close when we spied him.
My dad recalls that when he was a youngster, he would ride the bus to San Antonio for orthodontic appointments.
He and two other kids from Doss would get on the bus at the Hotel Nimitz bright and early in the morning. The bus station was located at the Hotel Nimitz back in the 1940s.
They would ride the bus to San Antonio, visit the orthodontist, his was on the 12th floor of the Medical Arts Building, which is now the Emily Morgan Hotel, while the others went to the Nix Hospital building.
In the afternoon, they would make their way back to the bus station downtown and return to Fredericksburg.
He said as they neared the city, they would pass Wolf Nursery and Wolf Inn. He seems to think it was about in the area of Fredericksburg Road and Wurzbach Road and said when they reached that point, “it was still a long way to San Antonio.”