Galindo trades hospital gown for cap and gown for FHS graduation

By Autumn Bernhard —

When most people hear “roller coaster,” visions of Fiesta Texas dance through their head. However, Kyara Galindo, daughter of Gabriel and Socorro Galindo, thinks of her four years in high school.

“Throughout the past four years I have had very high times as well as low times,” Galindo said. “Some times were fun and some not so fun.”

The main low occurred during Galindo’s sophomore year when she collapsed at a football game while cheering. She was taken to the hospital where two tumors were found in her brain and she was diagnosed with stage IV Glioblastoma Multiforme. Galindo was given a life expectancy of five months.

“My first reaction was inscrutable,” Galindo said. “I was at the hospital and was asleep. When I woke up, ‘tumor’ was the first word I heard. At the time, I was not knowledgeable about tumors so I did not know what to think exactly.”

The next day, Oct. 3, 2011, she was in surgery for six hours at the Children’s Methodist Hospital in San Antonio and it was concluded that both tumors were malignant. While in surgery, the tumor located at the top of her brain was partially removed. A little over a month later, Galindo had surgery to remove the cyst of fluid on her brain that caused her immobility in her left side due to the pressure it caused in her head.

After the cyst was removed, Galindo went through 45 days of intense radiation. After that, she started her chemotherapy through an IV which lasted a year. She then went through oral chemotherapy for a year.

“The process to remove my tumors was very long and painful,” Galindo said. “My tumors have shrunk. One has been completely gone since December and there is a hole in its place. The other is considered ‘dormant’ and is located on my brainstem.”

At the end of 2012, she had doctor visits every month which then decreased to every three months. Currently Galindo has to go to the doctor every six months.

Although her high school experience has been a roller coaster, Galindo has arrived at graduation which signifies the end of the ride.

“The feeling of graduating is indescribable,” Galindo said. “It feels amazing that the day has finally come. I could not have done it without the love and support of friends, teachers, peers and the community.”

Galindo plans to attend the University of Texas at San Antonio to pursue a degree in architecture this fall.

With her illness, Galindo missed seven months of school which she completed online. During that time she missed her second half of being a Fredericksburg High School cheerleader and an entire soccer season.

“I would like to thank Fredericksburg for the continual support and everything the people have done for me,” Galindo said. “I’d love to give back as much as possible because without them, I wouldn’t be where I am now.”

Galindo’s parents would also like to thank Fredericksburg for being a backbone through such a difficult time they had to face.

“Anything is possible with an attitude that’s positive,” Galindo said. “Just look for the light at the end of the tunnel because it’s always closer than you think.”

Rate this article: 
Average: 4.5 (4 votes)