War-time plane rides available March 24-26
Those who always wanted to get a ride in a war-time aircraft will get their chance March 24-26 when the Collings Foundation hosts its “Wings of Freedom Tour” at the Gillespie County Airport.
The group will be offering rides on the B-17, B-24, P-51 and a Vietnam-era Huey helicopter.
Walk-through tours of all the aircraft in the show will cost $12 for adults, $6 for children 12 years and younger.
Proceeds raised help preserve the aircraft for the future.
Tour times will be 2-5 p.m. on Monday, March 24; 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 25, and from 9 a.m. until noon on Wednesday, March 26.
Flight experience donations are $450 per person aboard the B-17 or B-24.
Flight training in the TP-51C “Betty Jane” will be $2,200 for a half-hour flight and $3,200 for a full hour. All participants will get the chance to feel what it was like to fly one of the most legendary fighters of World War II.
The Vietnam-era Huey helicopter will feature rides at a cost of $80 for rear seats and $100 for the co-pilot’s chair.
To book a seat, call 978-562-9182.
To learn more about the Collings Foundation and what it does to keep war-time “birds” in tip-top shape, visit www.collingsfoundation.org.
- Out of the shadows: Independent thriller ‘The Gift’ comes from nowhere to shine
- Gangsta rap biopic ‘Straight Outta Compton’ a compelling, worthy film
- Superhero movie ‘Fantastic Four’ falls flat on its cinematic face
- X Marks The Spot: Geocaching combines technology, treasure hunts
- ‘Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation’ packs on punches thanks to its leading man