Harper Library benefit set Saturday in the park
The “Saturday in the Park” fundraising event to benefit the volunteer-operated Harper Library will be held Saturday, July 6 in the Harper Community Park.
The facility began in 2004 as the idea of a group of citizens which blossomed into 4,000 donated books in a small home.
Since then, the Harper Library has gathered enough grant-funding from several foundations and support from its local land owners and residents through fund-raising and donations to move into a newly remodeled, 3,800-square-foot building at 23247 West U.S. Highway 290 in downtown Harper.
A full facility now, it houses a collection of 12,500 materials, including books, audio books, videos and DVDs, periodicals and newspapers. A public meeting room is available for local organizations to reserve and use. And, computers and WiFi connectivity are available for public use. Recently, ebooks became available.
For more on this story, read this week’s print and online editions of the Fredericksburg Standard-Radio Post. If you are a print subscriber, your full online subscription is free. All you need to do is call 830-997-2155 to get a password. If you are not a subscriber, call 997-2155 or click on the ‘Subscribe’ button on the left side of the home page and sign up today!
- Out of the shadows: Independent thriller ‘The Gift’ comes from nowhere to shine
- Gangsta rap biopic ‘Straight Outta Compton’ a compelling, worthy film
- Superhero movie ‘Fantastic Four’ falls flat on its cinematic face
- X Marks The Spot: Geocaching combines technology, treasure hunts
- ‘Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation’ packs on punches thanks to its leading man