Rogers leads boys to third place state golf finish
By Matt Ward —
After windy conditions blew away any chances to defend their 2012 Class 3A state championship, the Fredericksburg High School varsity boys’ golf team rebounded from a seventh place start to medal in third place at the UIL 3A Boys’ State Golf Tournament Thursday and Friday at Jimmy Clay Golf Course in Austin.
The Billies tied for third with Big Spring with a team score of 656, but won the bronze medal after winning a playoff by two strokes.
“The boys had a rough day Thursday and we were 20 shots behind,” FHS head coach Janie Schneider-Guynes said. “It’s tough to pick up 20 against the number one team in the state. We were making more putts and hitting more greens the second day and just turned it around.”
For more on this story, read this week’s print and online editions of the Fredericksburg Standard-Radio Post. If you are a print subscriber, your full online subscription is free. All you need to do is call 830-997-2155 to get a password. If you are not a subscriber, call 997-2155 or click on the ‘Subscribe’ button on the left side of the home page and sign up today!
- Billie boys soccer season ends in regional finals
- FHS boys advance to state tourney after second place finish at regionals
- Seven varsity netter prepare for regional tourney next week
- Ladyhorns dominate district standings with pair over victories
- Harper baseball splits pair of loop victories last week